Tuesday, November 25, 2008

First trip to clinic - and test results

Hello friends!

The good news is that I'm basically OK. I haven't been having binge-purge behaviour for long enough to do myself any serious damage. I have extremely low vitamin B12 levels and haven't been drinking enough water for my kidney function. I've been advised to avoid hiking if it's a very long one or at very high altitude - if I insist on next week's Mt Kosciuszko then I have to drink at least 2 litres every day and take vitamin B12 each day.

I've got an iron supplement with some B vitamins (because my iron is lowish although not a problem) and I'll be buying some marmite. I'll also get some of those once-a-week vitamin B12 tablets maybe. The good news is that I don't think you can actually overdose on vitamin B12.

My electrolytes are all pretty normal - potassium maybe a little low but not worryingly so. I'll eat some bananas and try not to eat too much sodium for a while.

I'm definitely supposed to continue working on healthy alternatives to bingeing and purging including exploring my creative side!

More concern about the bingeing at the moment than the restricting so that's what I'm going to focus on. My BMI was 19.7 this morning (I haven't had a big poop for a while) and what else can I say? It's smooth sailing from here on in! Now time to GBTW!!!

Update: I'm going to get some dedicated vitamin B12 tablets because I've read that vegans can have problems if they start other supplements before the vitamin B12 gets back to normal. So I've found a supplement I think I will like - it's 100μg twice a day for a month or two and then I'll focus on the general supplement. :)

No comments: